The Society for Earthquake and Civil Engineering Dynamics (SECED) was founded in 1969 to promote the study and practice of earthquake engineering and structural dynamics, including blast, impact, and other vibration problems. Since 1969 we have used the same venerable logo – a circle with the letters SECED inscribed horizontally and vertically. However, we think it’s time for a new logo. Therefore, earlier this year we launched a competition to find the best design. The competition is open to all, and the winner of the competition will receive a cash prize of £500.
How to enter
Announcement of winnerThe winner will be announced on 1st December 2020. We will contact the winner directly a couple of days before 1st December and agree details in regards to publicity, design modifications (if any), transfer of prize, etc. We may also contact other entrants and ask for permission to publish their logos. Then on 1st December we will showcase the new logo on our website.
Terms and Conditions
- The competition is open to all except SECED Committee members.
- Membership of SECED or an engineering background is not a prerequisite for entering the competition.
- If you are under the age of 18, you must obtain parental or guardian consent to enter the competition. Please confirm this when you submit your entry and give us the name of your parent or guardian and their contact details.
- There is no fee to enter this competition.
- A cash prize of £500 will be awarded to the entrant with the best submission.
- The prize will be paid via bank transfer to a nominated bank account. Overseas bank accounts must be able to receive payments from the UK legally and without breaching EU financial sanctions. Transaction fees incurred in payments to overseas bank accounts or accounts held in a currency other than pound sterling will be deducted from the prize.
- By entering this competition, an entrant (or their parent or guardian if under the age of 18) is indicating their agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- Details of how to enter this competition can be found above. We are unable to accept entries via any other channel than email.
- The closing date for entry is 7th November 2020 (extended from the original closing date of 31st October). After this date no further entries to the competition will be permitted. The winner will be announced on 1st December 2020.
- The SECED Committee will choose the winner by majority vote.
- All personal data relating to entrants will be used solely for the purpose of the competition and in accordance with the UK’s Data Protection Act 2018. Personal data will not be disclosed to any third party without prior consent. All personal data of unsuccessful entrants, as well as their entries, will be deleted from SECED’s records once the winner has been announced.
- The winner agrees to the use of their name and image in publicity material (e.g. the SECED Newsletter and the SECED Website) unless they explicitly wish to remain anonymous.
- By entering the competition all entrants confirm that their entries are their own original work, that they own the copyright to it, and that they have not infringed any third party rights. Any evidence to the contrary will result in immediate disqualification.
- The winner agrees to transfer copyright for the logo to SECED. Having transferred copyright to SECED, the winner agrees not to re-use the logo or any recognisable elements of the logo in any future work or publications without prior permission from SECED.
- SECED does not have to adopt the logo after the competition.
- SECED reserves the right to modify the winning entry.
- SECED reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice at any time. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible. Entrants may then withdraw their entries should they wish to do so.