The Society for Earthquake and Civil Engineering Dynamics (SECED) was founded in 1969 to promote the study and practice of earthquake engineering and structural dynamics, including blast, impact, and other vibration problems. Since 1969 we have used the same venerable logo – a circle with the letters SECED inscribed horizontally and vertically. However, we think it’s time for a new logo. Therefore, we have launched a competition to find the best design. The competition is open to all, and the winner of the competition will receive a cash prize of £500.
How to enter
All entries should adhere to the following guidelines:
- The new logo should encapsulate SECED’s objectives and field of interest in a vibrant, stylish and dynamic image.
- The logo should be submitted in a range of formats including an editable vector-based format (preferably Scalable Vector Graphics, but other formats are also acceptable) as well as a fixed raster-graphics format such as Portable Network Graphics. Please keep files sizes manageable (as a rule of thumb do not exceed 1MB per file).
- The logo should be scalable such that it can be used in different sizes ranging from small website icons to large posters.
- Two versions of the logo should be submitted. The first version should incorporate the letters "SECED". The second version should be similar to the first, but also incorporate the words "Young Members" or just "YM".
On our webpage, you can find a large repository of Newsletters, conference papers, weblinks and presentations which may provide some design ideas.
Terms and Conditions
- The competition is open to all except SECED Committee members.
- Membership of SECED or an engineering background is not a prerequisite for entering the competition.
- If you are under the age of 18, you must obtain parental or guardian consent to enter the competition. Please confirm this when you submit your entry and give us the name of your parent or guardian and their contact details.
- There is no fee to enter this competition.
- A cash prize of £500 will be awarded to the entrant with the best submission.
- The prize will be paid via bank transfer to a nominated bank account. Overseas bank accounts must be able to receive payments from the UK legally and without breaching EU financial sanctions. Transaction fees incurred in payments to overseas bank accounts or accounts held in a currency other than pound sterling will be deducted from the prize.
- By entering this competition, an entrant (or their parent or guardian if under the age of 18) is indicating their agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- Details of how to enter this competition can be found above. We are unable to accept entries via any other channel than email.
- The closing date for entry is 31st October 2020. After this date no further entries to the competition will be permitted. The winner will be announced on 1st December 2020.
- The SECED Committee will choose the winner by majority vote.
- All personal data relating to entrants will be used solely for the purpose of the competition and in accordance with the UK’s Data Protection Act 2018. Personal data will not be disclosed to any third party without prior consent. All personal data of unsuccessful entrants, as well as their entries, will be deleted from SECED’s records once the winner has been announced.
- The winner agrees to the use of their name and image in publicity material (e.g. the SECED Newsletter and the SECED Website) unless they explicitly wish to remain anonymous.
- By entering the competition all entrants confirm that their entries are their own original work, that they own the copyright to it, and that they have not infringed any third party rights. Any evidence to the contrary will result in immediate disqualification.
- The winner agrees to transfer copyright for the logo to SECED. Having transferred copyright to SECED, the winner agrees not to re-use the logo or any recognisable elements of the logo in any future work or publications without prior permission from SECED.
- SECED does not have to adopt the logo after the competition.
- SECED reserves the right to modify the winning entry.
- SECED reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice at any time. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible. Entrants may then withdraw their entries should they wish to do so.